In 1944, 80 square kilometres (31 mi2) was set aside north of Lake of Two Rivers as a new Wildlife Research Area. The first research in this area began in 1945, focusing on birds, small mammals, deer, beaver and Ruffed Grouse. The establishment of the Wildlife Research Station (WRS), located on Lake Sasajewun, has contributed significantly to the discovery and understanding of the natural history of many species present in Algonquin Park.
The establishment of a Wildlife Research Station was seen a good complement to the already established Harkness Laboratory of Fisheries Research. At the time of its establishment, the Wildlife Research Station was one of the first of its kind in Canada. The first director of the station was Dr. Doug Clarke, and with help from the Royal Ontario Museum and summer research students, the station began to establish the protocols for long-term wildlife monitoring.
Today, the Wildlife Research Station is comprised of a series of small cabins housing research laboratories, plus sleeping and dining facilities used primarily by researchers. As Dr. Clarke had hoped, many years ago, the Wildlife Research Station continues to serve as a base for many long-term research projects which include 50 years of small mammal research and one of the longest running turtle study in the world.
Take a 360° tour of the WRS (General Laboratory)
Take a 360° tour of the WRS (Parasite Laboratory)
Take a 360° tour of the WRS (Turtle Laboratory)
back to top